What I like about Alex is that, when he speaks, he speaks with purpose. He’s all about completing a task, reviewing it, and seeing how we can improve the next go round. My first official task is to make a legitimate 5 year plan, and she was tools from this internship can I use to make this piece of paper a reality.
Of course my first thought was, “Yea right dude, I’m just here for my Practicum requirement, I doubt this internship, in a field I already kinda gave up on, will help me in the future.”
I admit that was childlike and selfish feelings, but those were my true first reactions. Still I sat, staring at a blank piece of paper waiting for the next 5 years of my life to unfold. This is what I came up with.
May 2017- Graduation!
Go home, get an internship. My dad knows someone at MOcean La.
June- Aug. 2017
Work my internship, prepare to go to grad school.
Aug. 2017 – May 2019
- Option 1: Depending upon acceptances, go to graduate school for Speech Pathology
- Option 2: Go to the Peace Corps for two years, teach english in Africa
May 2019 – May 2018
- Option 1: Graduate Grad School, beginning working 700 clinical hours (Guesstimated number, I’ll have to look up the actual amount of time, but after receiving your masters in speech you are required to work a certain amount of hours for final accreditation.)
May 2019- May 2021
- Option 2: Return from the Peace Corps and either pursue a Masters in Speech Pathology, or International Affairs
May 2018 – May 2021
- Option 1: Work in a clinic for a solid three years, prepare to get PhD
- Option 2: Work for a non-profit, look into creating your own non profit
- My true passion is criminal justice reform. In short I believe that privatized, for profit prison do not do enough to rehabilitate it’s prisoners. They do not equip inmates with enough vocational or academic options which make it more likely for criminals to continue to live life of criminal. If we work to tear down the societal and institutional chokeholds that make it impossible for inmates, especially those with non violent offense to integrate into society once released, we minimize the likelihood of reincarceration.
- Option 1: Start my Phd program for Speech.
More or less, that’s what I came up with. Although I didn’t think he could do it, Alex insist that the skills I will acquire here are applicable. Organization, working within tight perimeters, conversing with interviewees is like talking to future patients, not to mention the patients it requires to be in this field will help in both higher learning, and if I ever make it to Africa. He did make a good point – the need and want for video and digital documentation is only growing, so whether I am taping my experience abroad or recording a patient, it all connects.
He presented his case well. These days I am leaning more and more to non-profit work, video experience could get my foot through the door. Something to definitely think about. Next assignment – incorporate passion and work.